Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Value of Brokenness

It is easy during times of trials and difficulty to forget the value of brokenness. Not many people would choose to be burdened with heartache or disappointment, but few that go through suffering fail to realize some value from those times…after the trial has passed.
As I was recently reflecting on my own times of distress, I discovered 7 values to brokenness:
It makes and keeps one humble. Humility is highly honored by God and is an attractive quality to others.
It teaches valuable life principles. Honestly, I have learned more from the hard times in my life than from the good.
It brings repentance. I often forget how much I need forgiveness. Brokenness, especially when caused by my own actions, reminds me I am hopeless apart from His grace.
It encourages a fresh start. Starting over is not always as bad as it seems. (Read THIS POST for more on this thought process.)
It invites grace. Brokenness brings me to my knees. That’s never a bad place as long as my heart longs heavenward.
It illustrates humanity. Brokenness reminds me that frail people share the commonality of life struggles.
It welcomes the heart of God. Psalm 34:18 says, “God is close to the broken-hearted.”
Has your story been shaped by brokenness? Allow the molding energies of God’s hand to craft His masterpiece in you as you yield to His ultimate plan for your life.

No comments: